Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring Cleaning

I don't know about you, but I have a little quirk that will not allow me to jump into anything big unless I have everything organized first. So, before we really dive into our homestudy notebook, we must organize our office. But why stop there? Why don't we go ahead and organize our basement too? That is the plan anyway. As I look around at the piles on my office floor, ready to be filed away in the correct folder, I see we can go ahead and check off #1-4 on our homestudy checklist. Nothing like the 2 birds with 1 stone analogy...

Side Note- A good friend of mine works for the library here in town. She kindly picked up a bagload of books for me, all about adoption, trans-racial families, etc. Here are the 2 that I am reading now-

The Adoption Decision by Laura Christianson
and
Transracial Adoption by Constance Pohl and Kathy Harris

Both are really good so far. Especially the second one because our hearts are so open to a non-caucasian baby. It contains a lot of eye-opening information. Studies have been done over the last 30-40 years of families who have adopted cross-culturally. These studies are very encouraging to read. One finding I read last night said "We found that children who were reared in these kinds of families were growing up color blind. Both the birth children and the adopted children were looking at each other as human beings. Not that he is black but he is my brother, or not that she is white, she is my sister." That right there, my friends, is beautiful.

-Sarah-

2 comments:

Priscilla said...

I was just thinking that this is probably the most pink you've had in your life for probably 20 years..... Sarah, You are gonna be a great momma to a little girl and shock your self at how easily it come to you! :) And Seth! Watch out! Little girls are masters at turning their Daddys into huge piles of mush. :) So very excited! Thanks for letting us share in your experience!

Seth and Sarah said...

Awww, you are so encouraging! Thanks for being such a great friend =)